Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 A question for mechanics?
 Fuses
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

GLYNN

93 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  11:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What size fuse do I need for a 12 volt t/m? Also what size for my main battery (bilge pump, running lights, etc)?

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2016 :  6:32:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what your t/m is but if it's your trim that should be already fused with in the engine harness. If it's an I/O there's a 100 amp fusable link on the feed line from the battery and then a 20 amp inline fuse to protect the relays. If it's an O/B is suspect theres and line line of no more than 20 amps. As for your bilge pumps I would think it requires no more than 10 - 15 dependong on the length of the wire run and the pumps capacity and the running lights should be 10 or less if they are LED lights

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2016 :  10:25:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does T/M stand for tilt and trim motor or trolling motor? Trolling motor depends on the model. Secret is correct on the other stuff. 10 amp is good for all electronics ( bilge, live wells, vhf, gps, depth finder, and radios) wash down pumps depend on size of motor- 5 amps for running/stern lights is good. The main battery should connect to a fuse bar which powers all the other stuff mentioned above- I have a 50 amp main inline fuse on the positive cable coming from the battery to the fuse bar.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

GLYNN

93 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2016 :  8:40:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
T/M = trolling motor.
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2016 :  10:18:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
60 amp for a 24 volt, 30 amp for a 12 volt trolling motor

In line fuse tied to the positive post.. I went to ebay to get you a sample of what you need
8 GAUGE INLINE ATC FUSE HOLDER WITH 30 AMP FUSE WITH COVER
Just look it up

Hope that helps

go fish
Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2016 :  8:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just have to comment on my current boat situation (don't we all have them!)...I have a Minn Kota 101# 36v troll motor (9 years old). Recently, having problems with one of the 3 batteries taking a charge from both the on-board charger and my Schumacher 2v, 6v and 10v charger. Did not notice any loss of power from the TM during several trips. After 'fully' charging all three, one of the batteries would restart charging...becoming an on-going mystery to me. Recently, I removed all three of the batteries, had them checked without a load and under a load...'ALL THREE ARE GOOD TO GO!! Reinstalled all three after re-krimping the six troll-motor leads. Did not use my boat for almost two weeks, and upon connecting the extension to the on-board charger...one of the batteries showed a RED LIGHT---"CHECK CONNECTION'! Re-checked everything and even installed a new-THE RECOMMENDED 50-AMP circuit breaker...still a Red Light on the charger.

Today, I telephoned Josh at Foster's Trolling Motor Repairs, Gretna, hoping to bring in my boat for a check-up...he has at least 8 boats already booked with appointments. Without hesitation, he asked what was going on...I explained all of the above...he asked how old were the batteries...I said 4 years and 6 months. He said that at least one battery is not holding at least 9.0 volts and that battery is affecting the charger and the other two batteries. He added that replacing just one will eventually let me down---I took the hint, bought three batteries, reconnected all wiring and put the extension to the on-board charger-NO RED LIGHT! Within an hour all three batteries were showing GREEN-LIGHT (fully charged)!

Long winded, BUT HATs OFF TO JOSH AT FOSTER'S TROLLING MOTOR REPAIRS AND A VERY BIG THANK YOU! I would whole-heartedly and highly recommend his advice and/or his services---John Castelluccio, Jr.

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999

Edited by - JOHN C on 08/09/2016 02:36:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John, glad you got that fixed. Not sure why one of the batteries did not show up under a load test as being bad. Same issue happens with golf cart batteries ( 4 to 6 batteries is series )when one goes bad it effect the whole load train and drains down the system. Buy the way which batteries did you buy. To get 4 years 6 months out of anything is great. You did take great care of those batteries.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2016 :  11:28:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went from Delco Voyuger (2007-2009) to Duralast (2009-2012) and Duralast Premium (2012-2016)! Duralast is Auto Zone Product...thought about NAPA but not as many stores as Auto Zone (nearest Auto Zone is 3 blocks from my house)! John Castelluccio, Jr.

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2016 :  2:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the info. I also have to buy new ones before the winter season. auto zone it is.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2016 :  07:26:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Duralast Perminum is the only way to go. I have them in both boats and both SUV's. The two in my Formula are in their 6th. season. No trolling motor but running live well pump, stating a V8 and a 600 watt windlass among other accessories. The key to battery longevity in a boat is to recharge them imediately after each trip, if needed never add water add acid and never allow the electrolite drop to expose the plates, don't let them discharge especially during the winter when it's very cold, and use a charge with "pluse" technology. The pluse technology will de-sulfate the plates / and or keep them from sulfating. But even with all that, nothing will last forever.

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000