Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 boat trailers
 wheel bearings
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

KurtS
Average Member

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2016 :  09:36:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for someone to come to my house and replace my trailer wheel bearings & repack

KurtS

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  08:46:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the bearings frozen on spindle or just making noise? I took my hubs to local brake man and he rebuild mine for $40.00 plus parts. All I did was put trailer on jack stands, remove tires, remove grease cap, remove cotter pin, undo spindle nut and off came the hub. I then took to brake man to repack and put new seals and bearings in the hubs. I just don't have the equipment to remove the bearing race. I think you need a press to do it right.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2016 :  6:14:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wheel bearings are not that difficult to change. In fact I feel that getting the wheel off the trailer may be the most difficult part. It is a messy job,and $40 is a fair price for the labor. Just be sure to use bearing buddies or similar on each wheel.
Good fishing!
PS....remember when all launches used a lift to pick up the boat and put it in the water?????Very few bearing problems then!

Henry Bonck
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2016 :  11:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry,
You are again spot on. at the time of launch is when you put yourself / bearings at risk because of the temperature variance from towing the the baot to thje launch and the water temperature. But pulling the race, or tamp9ng the race out is nor that difficult with a simple hand torch, and hand tools.
To Kurt, if you'd like to take it on yourself and save a few bucks, I'll offer my assistance.
Mike 504-6666-3637

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

KurtS
Average Member

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2016 :  1:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the offer, Mike, and for the info from other posters.
I think I will give it a shot myself. Hopefully, the bearings will be ok and I will just need to clean them and repack.

KurtS
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2016 :  12:04:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt,
Chances are you'll be OK. If you get hung up, ring me at 666-3637 and I'll be glad to help you out. Best of luck and let us know how you make out!

Go to Top of Page

KurtS
Average Member

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2016 :  11:22:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
got to the bearings with not too much trouble, just needed to be cleaned and repacked

KurtS
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2016 :  10:26:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
great!! your almost done, lots of good youtube videos on package wheel bearings, kinda messy put looks very easy to do.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2016 :  10:12:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kurt,
This is my method. Soak them over night in laquer thinner in a covered container, and then finish with the thinner and a parts brush unless you have access to s power parts cleaner. Then wash with soap and water (dawn dish liquid) and let full dry or force dry with a hair drier. Then with some latex gloves on and a butter knife repack by forcing the grease completely into every crevice of the bearing. Install the rear seal and fill the void with grease the same way and tamp the rear seal in place. Do the same on the outside bearing the same way, put the wheel on the hub and finish up. When you set the tension, spin the wheel by hand and tighten the retaining nut until it just stops the wheel from spinning, and back it off slightly until the wheel spins freely put the cotter pin in and fill the remaining void, install the "buddy bearing" or dust cap and you're done

Go to Top of Page

KurtS
Average Member

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  1:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for all the advice

KurtS
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2016 :  11:52:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome bud. Just reach out to us if you need some help

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000