Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 RV's / Camping / Equipment / Service
 Map's vs GPS
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  09:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use to use my map's and compass still use them but have been relying on my GPS a lot lately. What do you use ? Even when I went out to open water fishing the Islands in and around Bay Eloi I knew which way I was heading and approx where I was. Now when I go out there I would be lost with out my GPS because I don't pay attention as much as I use to . I do luv the tracking because when I explore new spot's in the marsh I can see the way I went wrong haha.

What do you use ?

Good luck to all on your next trip!

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  09:38:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I use both. I taught my son a lesson several years ago about the GPS. I turned it off and told him to get us home from the Louisiana Marsh with only a compass and map. He now pays attention when I am driving the boat and stays very familiar with the surrounding Marsh. End of story we made it home safe. The Lesson did take him quite a while to figure out. The simple rule when traveling back to Mississippi gulf coast is to go NORTH. Once he saw the Bay St Louis Bridge he was very happy.

I do believe that technology helps angler today, but this technology does not teach them anything about piloting skills. Before we had GPS or LORAN C we would take off to Chandelier, Freemason, or even Breton Island with nothing more than a compass and a VHF radio. The lost art of listening/talking on a VHF has also gone by the way side.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

marco
Average Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  08:53:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Both old school navigation and GPS technology have their pros/cons. I always bring maps of the areas that fish in case the GPS unit goes out. That is always my biggest worry.

I always use maps for planning my fishing trips the evening before and use the GPS to get me to those specific spots/areas that I want to fish especially if they are new spots deep in the marsh or in open water. The few times I have purposely been out in open water with no coastline in sight for reference, I brought paper maps with return routes marked with compass headings in case the GPS unit dies on me.

Foremost, I leave a float plan with family that includes a printed map marked with my routes and fishing spots printed from my Garmin GPS software in case I don't return at my designated time. At least, the Coast Guard will have a good idea of where to look.

Regarding the VHF radio, cell phones have become over relied upon for communications while on the water even with their limited range and fragile electronics. I always keep my VHF radio turned on and tuned to channel 16. I also keep a portable VHF in my emergency gear bag. Cellphones aren't salt water proof but my marine VHF radios are.
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old school compass navigation is the only way to rely on. It's what should be taught and handed down to the generations. The rest are "navigational aids" it says so in all of the disclaimers sold with the units, just read the fine print. That crap goes out and you can't use a compass you are screwed!!!

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  5:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marco,you mentioned float plan.....I don't think anyone else did. Probably the most important thing you can do is let the wife,a neighbor,someone know where you plan to fish at.Some folks don't even tell anyone where they plan to launch.This might be OK if you always go to the same place.At least give the searchers an idea where to start looking.
I like to keep plenty water and a few MRES in case you have to spend the night!(Cell phone charger is nice also)

Henry Bonck
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2015 :  11:35:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Henry, you are spot on! A float plan is always a MUST do even if it seems like and excersie. As far as the MRE's and cell phone, all of that should be contained in "The Ditch Bag" should you have to exit the vessel. The contents of which can vary widely. My Ditch bag has a water proof VHF radio in it, along with water, granola bars, signaling devices, insect repellent sun screen among other things I hope I never have to touch.

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000