Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Do It Yourself (ers)......
 Loose Screws
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

KCR

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  11:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for some ideas for routine maintenance I'm having to perform on my boat. Every time I return from a fishing trip the screws holding the rubber bumper around the edge of my boat and holding my winshield in place loosen up and start working their way of the screw holes. Not only do I have to rescrew the windshield screws back in, but I also have to partially pull out part of the rubber bumpber from its metal frame and rescrew the frame back to the boat as it begins to separate. This is happening for several screws around the bumper and is not the same screws everytime. A few years back I had put some marine calking around the screw and put it back in the hole hoping it would tighten up and and hold the screw in place. This was only a temporary fix because they are coming back out again. Short of a permanent adhesive, anybody have any ideas?

KCR

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  12:44:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw an article or video one time for tightening the screw holes in fiberglass. Sorry, I cannot remember the guy which came up with the idea. He had tried Chalk, Epoxy, even 3200 adhesive to solve this problem and none of them work.

I followed his advice and have not had a screw back out in quite some time. The article suggested using wire zip strips. What you did was take the plastic wire strip and insert it into the hole, (one or two pieces depending on how big the hole had gotten). As you tighten up the screw the strip spun around the screw and caused the screw to get wedge between the fiberglass and the wire strip. When you got it tight you then trimmed off the excess wire strip with a razor knife for a smooth finish. This made a backing strip inside the hole to keep the screw from coming loose.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I found a video that explain this technique.
I hope this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-VeT35azuc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-VeT35azuc

go fish
Go to Top of Page

KCR

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  06:06:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Fishgill. That is exactly the problem I am having and I happen to have hundreds of plastic ties in various sizes.

KCR

KCR
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  11:05:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Glad I could help..let me know when the job gets done and post your results.

go fish
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000