Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 turkey hunting
 New to Turkey Hunting
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

marco
Average Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2012 :  10:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 14 year old son asked me about wanting to go hunting. I've never did any hunting before (only fishing) and would like to take my son on a guided turkey hunt. I didn't see any turkey guides advertised on this website. Can someone recommend some guides for turkey hunting around the Northshore area or in Mississippi? I would like to start with an experienced pro that can show me the proper way to hunt turkey.

I do have some basic questions about turkey hunting.

Are wild turkeys edible? Do they taste the same as the domestic farm raised ones bought at the grocery store?

Is a shotgun the only allowed firearm for hunting turkeys? Can a rifle be used?

What is the limit on turkeys per person that can be harvested during a hunt?

Do hunting guides provide the firearm (shotgun) as an option? I want to try it out first before investing in shotguns for me and my son in addition to all of the other hunting gear.

I plan to take my son skeet shooting for practice and attend a hunter safety course for the license. Is there anything else I need to obtain?

Thanks!

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2012 :  10:16:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations on seeking your latest addiction!
1) Wild turkeys ARE edible, but we generally just eat the breast by cutting it into nuggets and frying it.
2) In MS, shotguns only are used to take turkeys and you want to find a load that patterns consistently through a full choke. You would want the bird to release out of his strut and then aim for the head and neck.
3) A hunter may harvest 3 birds per season, one per day in MS and gobblers only.
4) I have never seen a guide provide a shotgun but they might.

Turkeys have very keen eyesight and proper camoflauge and being extremely still are very important to a successful hunt. Calling the tom is the thrill of the hunt. Getting up early is the difficult part but once you hear that "THUNDER CHICKEN" shake the woods with his gobble you will be addicted!

Go to Top of Page

marco
Average Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2012 :  10:09:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding shotguns, how big of a difference is the 20 gauge from a 12 gauge when taking a turkey? Will I need to get more up close and personal with a 20 gauge vs a 12 gauge?

Does the 12 gauge shot further (more range) or simply puts out more load than a 20 gauge?
Go to Top of Page

Outsideallthetime
Administrator

1855 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is an excellent question! I GOOGLED it and found this for you:

"......In one of many patterning sessions, this one in particular with lead turkey loads, I’ve had 1-1/4 oz. and 1-5/16 oz. 20 gauge loads clearly, vividly, dramatically outperform 1-1/2 oz. and 1-7/8 oz. 12 gauge loads, but putting up to 100% more #5 shot holes in the turkey target at 40 yards than some 12 gauges. Naturally, I cheated again, using buffered Federal 1-5/16 oz. loads and Fiocchi Golden pheasant loads married to Trulock Precision Hunter extended chokes in the 20 gauges against fixed and factory screw chokes in the 12 gauges. We still don’t like the notion that every shotgun is an individual, but they sure are. Not all 20 gauges pattern superbly, to be sure, nor do all 12 gauges, either. Quality shells, quality chokes and patterning our shotguns at the ranges we intend to take game is the only way to find out what our gun really does. It is hard to accept, but the marking on a choke or barrel means nothing tangible. What they actually do is what counts.

So, there is no “versus.” Twenty gauges (and 16 gauges) are superb tools for pheasants, doves and turkey, at least when you use the proper shell and choke.........."

So I stick with the idea that patterning your shotgun with a variety of loads and chokes is how you figure out what is best for YOU!

Go to Top of Page

marco
Average Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  7:26:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Outsideallofthetime for clarifying that. Now it is clear as mud. Lol.... I also had googled the 12 gauge vs 20 gauge and got pretty much the same explanations you gave. I gather the difference between these two shotgun gauges is not simply linear but also dependent on the ammo being used as well.
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2012 :  11:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many of the Ammunition Manufactors make special shotgun shells for Turkeys, however I have only seen those special turkey loads in 12 guage, 3in magnum 12 guage and the 3-1/2inch magnum 12 guage.
I use a turkey head target and check the pattern of every special load that I use. Today I hunt exclusively on my own land and I have a special affinity for my birds, I watch them during deer season and even name some of them. But I also have a very deep almost religious rule about Gobblers and that is that any mature gobbler that is called up by me inside gun range of 30 yards, must be killed, I do not call them up and then run them off, it is a very serious relationship

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page

marco
Average Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  08:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will be going to the Great Southern Gun show this weekend at the Ponchartrain Center in Kenner to look at some shotguns. I will try my hardest not to buy too many "things". Anybody else going?
Go to Top of Page

ed mcintyre
Administrator

USA
6938 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2012 :  10:57:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll be in the woods hunting, but have a great time. and by the way I did see some Turkey chokes for 20 gauge shotguns, they were by Primos. so there is evidently a lot of interest in 20 gauges for young turkey hunters

when i die bury me deep, put a bucket of bait at my feet, put a rod and reel in my hand and i will fish my way to the promised land !!!! remember we did not inherit these resources from our parents, we are merely borrowing them from our children
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000