Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 Are You Aware and Prepared?
 Towing disabled vessels
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  12:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This topic has had a real workout in the reports lately. So I thought I'd try it over here.I would stop and help a stranded boater as best I can.I carry jumper cables but I say NEVER jump from your primary battery.You could wind up with two stranded boats. I recently got a jump box and I carry it on board.Make sure to keep it charged!A good stout tow line can help but I must say I would not attempt a hi speed tow. 5 MPH is about tops for me. Slow but sure.
My current boat is a 175 Alumacraft with 70 HP so that's a limit there!For me to tow a much larger boat......some of these bay boats are huge.Might be best to carry some of the crew to the launch(they should have KEY'S!)Here again I can only carry what the boat is rated for!If someone is left behind leave them food and drink.WATER ..sunscreen,hats and insect repellent.
All this being said of course we now have SEA TOW !!Don't leave home without it. Also AAA.

Henry Bonck

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 12/27/2015 :  5:44:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's always relation's or good friends that I get the call from but if I see someone I help. I am a little mechanically inclined and if I think I can just get them going that's always the best answer. But that's not usually the case so you tow them or bring them in I will never just leave them. As far as actual towing I have towed from 32' boats to 14' with many different boats of mine. Some times it was easy to get them up on plane other times it wasn't possible see 32'I towed with my 16' bass boat we made it slow and steady 3 or 4 mph don't really know but it didn't matter we were on the way in. I have been rescued a time or two as well so I know that feeling when broke down. I had a Sea Tow membership and it felt good to have the confidence anywhere I chose and I would definitely get back in.

A good cell phone and better VHF is always needed to get that help a VHF can usually always get the coast guard and they can message anyone to help if not death threatening or your sinking then they would come but I don't think they tow you they just bring you in?

Anyone know?

Good luck to all on your next trip!
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  12:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes and Yes to both of the above posts, but I have stated my take on it and in the landscape that we live in today, "a prudent skipper is a SeaTow member", if he / you're not….you're a slacker…period!!!!

Fret Not, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!
Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  7:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Secret Formula

Yes and Yes to both of the above posts, but I have stated my take on it and in the landscape that we live in today, "a prudent skipper is a SeaTow member", if he / you're not….you're a slacker…period!!!!

DITTO!!! SEA TOW FOR LIFE!!!!John Castelluccio, Jr.

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999

Edited by - JOHN C on 12/29/2015 10:45:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  10:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might be a good come on......Lifetime membership!
How much?Nice discount for us seniors!

Henry Bonck
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2015 :  11:09:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent Idea Henry! I will approach Christian with the idea….I'm all in!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  07:03:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need and want another membership if I can get a senior discount that would do it for me. I'm all in for that!

Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  2:51:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary,
What percentage would you consider a senior's discount, and at what age to be considered a senior?

Go to Top of Page

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2016 :  9:38:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess a senior discount should kick in at 60 +or -.20% would be real nice for a discount,or maybe a few extra months on the contract(plus any existing discounts.....they often have 14 months for a yearly contract.That way we could get 16 or more months for the regular rate.I believe most seniors are more prepared for a mishap,with such things as a spare prop and a push pole to get off a mud flat.Remember the duck bill to attach to your push pole???

Henry Bonck

Edited by - hookiemonster on 01/06/2016 9:43:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  5:49:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would be nice, but I know they only have so much wiggle room in their rate vs bottom line. After all it is a franchise

Go to Top of Page

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2016 :  8:20:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can dream,can't I!
Any discount would be appreciated.As far as what age should be considered......why not follow Social Securities guidelines.Personally,I'm working on 77. How much longer will I be physically capable of taking my boat out? I've scaled back a lot so my exposure is greatly reduced.However,If a problem arises I know I'll be less able to deal with it on my own......I have Sea Tow!Years ago it wasn't available but if it were I think it would have been a good choice, especially when one ventures offshore. I had a 10hp kicker,a radio and all other safety stuff,but I also was wary of what could happen.

Henry Bonck
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  7:05:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're a smart responsible skipper Henry

Go to Top of Page

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  06:48:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm dreaming to but I think 60 would be the start of the senior discount that's when I got my first hunting fishing license discount. At that age we don't really take that many chances and usually better prepared with better than average equipment. So why not a discount I also still have many I O U's that I could call if needed but Sea Tow is always better prepared to handle the task at anytime.

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2016 :  1:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GARY...what you brought up is sooo true with us SENIORS! I have heard so many times (from younger boat owners/operators)..."that is good enough...; that should work...; I'll fix it the next time...; ...it hasn't broken yet...; been like that for over a year now; ...I saved a few dollars...; etc etc "! WHEN YOU BUY/OPERATE A BOAT...YOU HAVE ASSUMED A HUGE RESPONSIBILITY TO YOURSELF, PASSENGERS A N D OTHER BOATERS!!! John Castelluccio, Jr.

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999

Edited by - JOHN C on 01/12/2016 09:14:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2016 :  07:20:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hahaha you are so right John !

Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  09:34:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GREAT NEWS GUYS, I finally had time to get up with Capt. Christian and pitch the senior citizen discount idea to him. He understood and kicked it up the franchise chain. Bottom line is beginning in March at the boat show they will be offering an additional 10% off to our senior citizens alomg with the usual 14 month special, so lets all show our appreciation and renew during the special, and talk it up. Even more so than ever there is absolutely no reason to not be a member!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

hookiemonster
Advanced Member

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  11:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that is good news!
Thanks Secret

Henry Bonck
Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  3:59:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know it Henry. What was already the path to be on just got a little smoother. Absolutely no excuses to not be a member, no matter how you spin it.

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  7:34:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess there will be an influx of just became a 'senior citizen' in order to get the discount!!! Just 'kidding'...I know there no cheters here in Louisiana!!! John Castelluccio, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2016 :  9:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big John,
You are so right. I'm sure there will be some folks that will try and cheat them out of $16.00, but I for one will not ask for the discount. I'm not saying that Capt. Christian did this "just for me", but because he too thought it to be a nice gesture to acknowledge senior citizens but it does come right off his bottom line as a franchise operator. I salute him for taking the high road, and I fully intend that he require anyone requesting the discount to include a photo copy of their driver's license with the application.

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  11:13:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GOOD IDEA!!! John Castelluccio, Jr.

Go to Top of Page

Secret Formula

USA
561 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2016 :  9:00:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See you at the boat show fella. Drinks are on me.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000