Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-33
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-32
whale_shark_01
130 pound yellowfin tuna! Tun
Redneck Times
Sportsman's Paradise Vol 09-31
Venice Louisiana amberjack fis
Capt. Peace Small Sword Gets B
RodnReelTV.com is your Online TV Station. You can watch full length, big screen Fishing, Hunting & Diving Shows 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Great shows like Between the Banks with Bob Gourgues, Ascension Outdoors by Goosie Guice and Lyle Johnson, Paradise Louisiana with Gary Rispone, Joe Macaluso and Don Dubuc and spectacular Diving Features by Captain Al Walker.

The next TV show could be yours. Take your video camera with you and shoot short fun clips or create an entire show and put it up on RodnReelTV.com for the world to see. Watch for our contest with some great prizes. Visit RodnReelTV.com today and often, you never know what or who you might see.

RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Sportsmen's Gear Forum
 saltwater marsh fishing tactics
 Shrimp Season
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  4:24:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anyone had success recreational trawling? Last year was not so good for me. I spent more in fuel and wasted time than I want to remember. Have you had any recent success? if so, in what general area?

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2016 :  2:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody? C'mon man....

Go to Top of Page

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  06:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For the exception of live shrimp it's just not worth the trouble. The price of shrimp hasn't gone up since I was doing it when i started shrimping on my own in 82. I quit shrimping after loosing my boat in Katrina ! It was never anything but work I started going with my dad in the late 60's . So i might have a little different view than other's forget about it!

Good luck to all on your next trip!
Go to Top of Page

fishgill

USA
353 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  09:02:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louisiana shrimp (16/20) maybe(21/24) are 3.25 a pound at grocery store. At the dock less than 3.00 a pound. Unless you want 2 or 3 hundred pounds in the freezer, the expense does not out way the gain to go out there. Now I still trawl my own live bait ( croakers and shrimp) since they are 30 cents a piece these days at most live bait shops. Just remember, you can only do this when the season is open.

go fish
Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  12:21:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the economics for sure, but just like fishing, I do it for the experience and the opportunity to show my kids something most will never experience. It would make the experience a little better if we would actually catch a few. The problem I have is that the places we used to drag as a kid no longer hold shrimp! I am sure some are successful in Lake Pontchartrain and the the Rigolets but I cannot to seem to catch it "right". Regardless, it's nice just to be out on the water.

Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2016 :  6:28:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much was caught by any of my friends; some that trawl for a living out in the Gulf are catching a fair amount of shrimp but their having to hunt them down and keep running around to try and find them!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2016 :  11:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We went last night In Lake Borgne around petite pass and made 3 45 min drags and caught 20 lbs of small shrimp. Lot of big boats around so I stayed just outside of them and had poor results. Fun trip but if I had to do it in the heat of the day it would have been much tougher to take. It was nice just to be out there enjoying the outdoors. Will try again soon.

Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  12:52:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the best speed to pull a 16ft trawl? Now that I have a good GPS I can monitor my speed better but not sure what is best. What do you think is the best speed?

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  1:05:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brown shrimp... 2.0 MPH

White shrimp... 2.5 MPH (3.0 MPH IF you are pulling a 'third-line/bib-line') John Castelluccio, Jr.

Are you pulling that trawl with a 'bridal-line' OR with TWO lines???

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999

Edited by - JOHN C on 06/13/2016 1:06:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  3:43:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 separate lines

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2016 :  5:18:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Length of your two pull-ropes? Depth of water you will be trawling in?
Point of pull---from the gunwales? from where your are pulling the distance to the transom? May seen minor/trivial, but definitely fine-tunes your efficiency! I learned from ALL of my mistakes...John Castelluccio, Jr.

OLDER SUV and house, STILL HAVE new boat-'06 Avenger, Semi-retired-'10, soon to get "new-wife" BUT MAY CHANGE MY MIND and THEN 'MIGHT NOT BE' in debt for the rest of my life! Now & 4-ever!!! Been a member on R&R since 09-21-1999

Edited by - JOHN C on 06/13/2016 11:59:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  12:23:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Length of your two pull-ropes? - Standard setup From Gus' in Slidell. I think 100ft

Depth of water you will be trawling in? 10ft

Point of pull---from the gunwales? Yes. Poles mounted to get above outboard.

from where your are pulling the distance to the transom. approx. 26"

Any Suggestions?

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2016 :  12:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
100' rope is okay!

The further from the transom...the BETTER STEERING CONTROL YOU HAVE...especially when using a flat-bottomed boat (aluminum/fiberglass, etc)! IDEALLY, pulling with outboard...MAXIMUM-1/3 LENGTH OF ENTIRE BOAT. ex: 18' boat = 6' should be your point of pull!

Initially, try pulling from your originally determined location and check for effective steering response to see if hull is 'sliding' when turning.

DEFINITELY be aware of your wheel/prop wash. You should try to keep from having wheel wash directly behind you hull, especially in shallower water. IDEALLY, slight right turn...wheel wash just to outside of right pull-rope and vice versa. Just imagine wheel/prop washed area as (disturbed) having no shrimp/bait!

Spray paint the metal skids on each board (steel/iron)-white---aluminum-black/ This will indicate if adjustments have to be made on either the top/float line---shorten/let out!

Are you pulling a '1/8" long link tickle-chain'...which should be 18" SHORTER THAN THE BOTTOM/LEAD LINE?

Any more questions...glad to help! John Castelluccio, Jr.

Edited by - JOHN C on 06/14/2016 10:53:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  10:36:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as far as painting the metal on the boards, Do you want them to hit the bottom? If I paint them and I see the paint being rubbed off, is that good or bad? I assume you do not want them hitting bottom?? Would speeding up / slowing down effect this more than rope length?

That was good advice on prop wash. I usually just go straight ahead.

I appreciate your advice

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2016 :  12:45:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Telephone me when you can...John Castelluccio, Jr. 504-481-1344

Go to Top of Page

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  4:00:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Call John everything he told you is absolutely correct pretty sure the paint is to tell you your boards are down and working properly they should shine!

Go to Top of Page

Frank Martin

USA
352 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2016 :  7:02:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The skids should pretty much be rubbing on the bottom all the time; always used 2 lead lines 100ft and pulled right next to the bank sometimes my board would be sticking out the water but I was catching shrimp never had any trouble except when I would bring someone who never trawled!!!!!

Edited by - Frank Martin on 06/20/2016 7:03:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Gary Fishaholic
Advanced Member

USA
663 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2016 :  09:09:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We always used a tickler chain that was to make the shrimp jump out of the mud and hopefully into our net!

Go to Top of Page

remington_870_99
Average Member

153 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  08:40:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the recreational shrimp season still open? I went to LADWF but cannot tell for sure. The shrimp map doesn't say when it was updated so to me it is confusing. whatdoyouthink?

Go to Top of Page

JOHN C
Advanced Member

USA
2839 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2016 :  10:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
HEARD...but NOT SUBSTANTIATED...ALL INLAND COMMERCIAL/RECREATIONAL TRAWLING CLOSES JULY 4TH---MONDAY! I don't think that would include bait dealers!?!?!

LAST WEEK: Monday-Friday---The trawling for 'bait' shrimp and croakers in the Grand Isle area was insane!!! 10 minute drags w/16 ft. trawl averaged 500-600 croakers (2.5"-4.0") and 300-500 live shrimp (50-60 count)!!!!! ALL drags were 20 minutes before daybreak and one drag during sunrise.

HAVE DEFINITELY NOTICED THE TOTAL DISAPPOEARANCE OF THE MULTI-LEGGED 'SEA ROACHES' ALONG THE ROCKS!!! John Castelluccio, Jr.

Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
RodnReel.com Sportsman's Forum © 2008 Rigs, Reefs, and Wrecks,Inc. Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000